That's 482 ci of big FE fun!...
That's 482 ci of big FE fun! Robert Pond Motorsports assembled the all-aluminum motor with their aftermarket FE block, boring and stroking the beast to get the required cubes. A SCAT crank and rods were used, and it's topped off with a set of aluminum Edelbrock heads and a Dynatek injection system (those IDAs are really throttle bodies). The V-8 mates to a 4L80E transmission with the aid of a Wilcap adaptor and shifts with a Compushift computer-controlled system from Phoenix Transmission in Weatherford, TX.
For a truly inspired method of fuel delivery, the Moores chose a Dynatek classic fuel injection system-eight wonderful stacks feeding four Weber IDA-style throttle bodies. Considering the weight of the car (about 4,800 pounds) the Moores wanted a low-ratio gear out back to work with the 4L80E transmission that was hooked up to the FE with the help of an adaptor from Wilcap. The 482 produced 642 hp on the dyno before being installed.
The car's body was rust-free for the most part, but Calvin wanted new smooth floorpans so the old ones were replaced and, in addition, custom inner fenderwells were designed and fabricated to help conceal some of the car's wiring. (The custom fuel tank is also concealed along with its wiring and lines.)
Not wanting to cut corners anywhere on the car, Calvin had the body chemically stripped, the original joints releaded, then the body electro-plated before Dan Stacey and Brian Hatton completed the bodywork. Once done, Hatton sprayed the car using DuPont paint.
Inside the car the master power brake cylinder and booster were hidden under the dash in order to clean up the clutter. And though power brakes were in 98 percent of the Mark IIs built in 1956, they didn't have what was added here: a power-activated emergency brake. A custom-built metal console (to accommodate the floor shift) and custom dash update the interior without making it look too "new."
Bucket seats from a Mark VIII Continental were covered in red leather by Sandra Gregory and Chuck Bennett and the same material was used on the dash, headliner, and custom rear buckets. Controls for the Hot Rod Air system are in the console just below the Kenwood head unit, and Classic Instrument gauges fit neatly in front of a Billet Specialties steering wheel attached to an ididit column. American Autowire supplied the wiring kit to get the hardtop's basic electrics up and running.
Since there are two of them, the brothers decided Leon should have this particular Mark II, but another '56 Continental (a little more radical) is being built for Calvin. It's a chopped roof version, with a lot more custom features done to the exterior, and with polished 18- and 20-inch Salt Flat wheels and an SOHC 427 under the hood.
It may be hard to compete with or argue the elegance of Leon's Continental. With the stock bumpers tucked in a little and the original grille left alone, this two-door hardtop Lincoln makes the same impact with onlookers as it must have back in Paris in 1955: tres magnifique!
Dan Stacey and Brian Hatton...
Dan Stacey and Brian Hatton did most of the sheetmetal work on the car before rolling it into the paint booth where Hatton sprayed the inky black DuPont paint. Wanting to keep a near-factory appearance, 52-spoke, 17-inch wire wheels from Tru-Spoke were used on each corner. Chrome work was capably handled by S&H Chrome in Madison, TN.
It's just as nice under the...
It's just as nice under the car as it is on the upside. A Kugel Komponents independent rear was used out back while the front is a custom unit designed and built with custom stainless steel A-arms.