Legislation (H.B. 2456) that would allow West Virginia's vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit was reintroduced in the West Virginia State Legislature. Current West Virginia law only allows a muffler originally installed by the manufacturer or an equivalent. However, with time running out on the 2012 West Virginia legislative session, the bill has not yet had a hearing and vote by the House Roads and Transportation Committee.
We Urge You to Contact House Roads and Transportation Committee Chair Margaret Anne Staggers and Vice Chair Linda Goode Phillips (Contact Info Below) to Request a Hearing on H.B. 2456
* H.B. 2456 would remove subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test.
* H.B. 2456 would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.
* H.B. 2456 would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust system modifications are considered illegal, even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse.
* H.B. 2456 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are more durable, are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions and offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
* H.B. 2456 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.
DON'T DELAY! Please contact the Chair and Vice Chair of the House Roads and Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to urge a hearing on H.B. 2456. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at email@example.com. Thank you for your assistance.
West Virginia House Roads and Transportation Committee Chair and Vice Chair
Delegate Margaret Anne Staggers (Chair)
Phone: (304) 340-3197
Delegate Linda Goode Phillips (Vice Chair)
Capitol Phone: (304) 340-3163